Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Nearing the End

     I would say I am doing pretty well for myself. 2 posts in one week? Its like a whole new Suze! 
P.S. waddaayaaa think of the new updated features? Pretty nice navigation bar, eh? Anyway, my time in London is quickly coming to a close. I cannot believe that tomorrow marks the one week countdown until I am on a big metal thing that will bring me all the way across the world. It is absolutely insane how fast the time has flown by. This city is absolutely magical and has completely stolen my heart. While I love home more than anything, I will be really sad to leave a week from tomorrow. Study abroad has been one of the best experiences of my life, and it is something that I will forever be an advocate for. I think that anyone and everyone should experience studying abroad or at least visiting another country. There is something about getting immersed in a completely different way of life that just makes you appreciate your own a little more. If you have been following my blog for the duration of the semester (if not, welcome!) you will have already heard about all of the amazing things that I have been able to experience and the people that I have been able to meet. Therefore, I felt no need to go on and on about the amazing things I have done since you have had the opportunity to read all about them! Instead, I thought I would tell you a few of the things that I have learned while wandering aimlessly here in London for the past 4 months. Hopefully these will help any person looking to study abroad anywhere in this massive, crazy world! (I wrote a post a few weeks ago about what to expect in London, check it out HERE)

ONE// Something will go wrong, just accept it. In life, things are bound to go wrong at some point. I am a massive planner and I like to have set plans and ideas. One of the things that stresses me out the most is things going wrong. The thing with life is that you just have to roll with the punches. If things go wrong, be prepared. Always have a map, extra money and emergency phone numbers. That way, if something does go wrong, you can fix it. Don't sweat the small stuff.

TWO// You don't always have to have a plan. To go along with number one, it is totally ok to not have a plan. One of my favorite things to do in London is to hop on the tube and go from there. Get off when you feel like it and just wander. Wandering can lead you to some pretty amazing places.

THREE// Don't blow all your money in the first couple of weeks. Trust me, it is so tempting, especially with Primark right around the corner. You'll get to wherever you may be calling home for the next 4 months and be so excited because you have a huge wad of cash just burning a hole in your pocket. I am notorious for spending money, but self control is key here. Always ask yourself, "do I really need this?" or "can I purchase this back home?". Spend your money wisely. It is much better to spend your money on experiences rather than things. You can always have a lot of things, but if you spend your money on things you won't have nearly as many experiences.

 FOUR// You'll have good days and bad days. Study abroad and living in a foreign country are often over glamorized in the media. Yes, studying abroad will be an adventure of a lifetime and amazing in so many different ways, but there will also be some pretty crummy days tucked in. Living and studying abroad is a lot of work and sometimes that can get the best of you for a little bit. When those days come, don't get down, the next amazing day will come when the sun rises again in the morning.

FIVE// Make new friends. This should go without explanation, but if you really need one, well, here it is. I get like routines and comfort. I like my friends back home and at school. Making new friends, while at most times terribly uncomfortable, is a necessity. Step out of your comfort zone. Trust me, it will make your time much better.

SIX// Take it all in. Stop every once in a while and just look at the world that surrounds you. I promise you, its a pretty magical place. Take it in. Soak it all up. These are the memories that you will never forget.

little wonders everywhere you look. 
Love,
Susanna

Questions? Comments? Just wanna say hey?
Email me HERE
Tweet tweet @shigosusanna
Instagram @shigosusanna
Follow SMC students on Instagram @knightlifevt
#smcvt

What am I listening to?



No comments:

Post a Comment